Friday, February 18, 2011

William Gladstone

          When I had first begun my interest in politics I was immediately attracted to William Gladstone. He was a Liberal Leader and I supported him. During the 1880 election I felt he would make the right choices and lead Ireland in the right direction, but his Land Act of 1881 proved me wrong. I was displeased and disappointed with his decision. Then, I decided to join the opposition of the Irish Nationalist movement. I still had a sense of respect for Gladstone though. Eventually he set his sights on the Home Rule Bill. I was glad he was able to see things the way I saw them. Gladstone created the First Home Rule Bill, which would provide Ireland a separate legislature although not a complete separation from the British Parliament. I was pleased with this decision, but the House of Commons had rejected his idea. Although, I was unhappy I was grateful towards Gladstone for trying. We kept close and continued to hope for the Home Rule Bill to pass through. Although I am not sure of how the outcome will be a few years from now. I am glad Gladstone was able to help and guide me throughout my journeys in life. He had helped me many times in trouble and has warned me to keep silence so no trouble would head my way. Although many times I had not listened to him and ran astray I am grateful he helped me. I may have disagreed with him at times, but eventually we both had one goal and it was to pass the home rule bill. 

No comments:

Post a Comment