Friday, February 18, 2011

Kilmainham Treaty

                        The Land Act provided nothing for the people or Ireland. It was laughable and benefitted no one. How dare they think that by promising such small changes we would be satisfied? We demand more! By showing our disapproval my newspaper, United Ireland, attacked the Land Act. The government had shown their unwillingness to bend to our will by arresting me and my fellow party lieutenants who stood by my side and stated their disapproval along with me. We were imprisoned for attacking the land act under the Coercion Act in Kilmainham Goal because we signed a No-Rent- Manifesto encouraging tenant farmer’s to take on a rent strike. Unfortunately the Land League was forced down. I had no choice but to try and negotiate. With that the Kilmainham Treaty was created between Gladstone, the United Kingdom Government, and me.  The treaty created the second Land Act of 1881. Gladstone had promised to make concessions to the irish tenant farmers. The Act though was not satisfying one bit. It lacked enforcement and had holes. It was weak and was not much better than the last Land Act. It did not provide regulations at all! I was not happy at all with the Act and decided to show the government that we would not be silenced and that they needed to start taking us seriously. By doing so I launched attacks on the Chief Secretary for Ireland , William Forster, and Gladstone.  Unfortunately this did not faze them and Gladstone warned me to be silence, but I refused to! We had the right to protest for our rights. They did not know what was good for us. We knew what was good for us. The cabinet however did not agree with me and issued my arrest. I will forever fight for our rights!  

No comments:

Post a Comment