Friday, February 18, 2011

The Phoenix Park Murders



On March 1887 I had been accused by a British Newspaper by the name of The Times for supporting and being involved with the murders of Fredrick Cavendish, who was Chief Secretary for Ireland, and T.H. Burke, who was the Under-Secretary for Ireland. Both had been violently stabbed to death at Phoenix Park in Dublin. I was outraged! Not only had they accused me of helping these murders, but accused me for encouraging constant crime with illegal organizations! I would never commit such an act, but letters “written by me” supporting the violent act had been found. An example of one of the letters is,


Dear Sir,
 I am not surprised at your friend's anger, but he and you should know that to denounce the murders was the only course open to us. To do that promptly was plainly our best policy. But you can tell him, and all others concerned, that, though I regret the accident of Lord Frederick Cavendish's death, I cannot refuse to admit that Burke got no more than his deserts. You are at liberty to show him this, and others whom you can trust also, but let not my address be known. He can write to House of Commons. 
Yours very truly, Charles S. Parnell.

Being thrown in jail had frightened me quite a bit as I was shaken. I thought of my tarnished reputation of a crime I had not commit and offered to resign my position as a Member of Parliament. Thankfully they had investigated more and found the letters to be fabricated due to the fact it did not sound like me in any bit. They also found out I was being wrongfully framed by Richard Piggot. That chicken had committed suicide after hearing we had figured out his devious plan. The true culprits of this crime were members of a radical Irish Nationalist group named Invinicibles.  I was vindicated, due to my proven innocence.  The Accusing Newspaper paid me £5000 for the damages they had caused me.  Gladstone had applauded my innocence and I was grateful that he had rejected my offer on resignation as a Member of Parliament. This experience was able to help me gain an upper hand in Parliament as people began to revolt terrorism allowing me to push Parliament toward a more Home Rule Party.

No comments:

Post a Comment